Last Updated:

Rights of appeal

If you are unhappy with a decision we have made on your housing benefit claim, you can ask us to explain the decision. In most cases you should do this within one calendar month of the date of our decision. If you would like to appeal against your Council Tax Reduction, then please see Council Tax Reductions - Appeals.

If, after you have received our explanation, you are still not satisfied with our decision, you can appeal. If you decide to appeal, we will send your appeal to the Appeals Service. The Appeals Service will then arrange for your appeal to be heard by an independent tribunal.

Asking us to explain our decision

If you want to know more about the decision made on your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit you should get in touch with us within one calendar month of the date on the decision notice.

Please get in touch with us by phone or in writing. You can contact the office on the number and address below.

If you need more information about the decision you can:

  • Ask for an explanation of the decision. This can be made in writing or by phone.
  • Ask for a written statement of reasons. This can help you to decide if you wish to appeal against the decision.
  • Ask for a revision of the decision. This means we will check the decision to see if all the details are correct. If any of the details are incorrect, we will revise your benefit and send you a new decision. If, however, we find that the details are all correct, we will tell you that we cannot change the decision.
  • Appeal against the decision. You must do this in writing stating why you disagree with the decision. If, after checking your claim, we cannot change our decision, we will send your appeal to the Appeals Service.

Is there a time limit in which to appeal against the decision?

You may ask us to look at your claim again and revise our decision, or appeal against the decision, within one calendar month of the date of our decision. If you ask for a written statement of reasons within the month, we will add on the time it takes us to send you the statement if you then wish to appeal. If we revise our decision, you will have a further calendar month to ask for an appeal if you are still unhappy with the decision.

If you make an appeal more than one month after the date of our decision it will be up to the appeals service to decide if they will hear the appeal.

How should you appeal?

You can appeal within one calendar month of the date on our decision. If you have asked for an explanation or written statement of reasons to help you decide if you wish to appeal, you can still request an appeal. Your appeal must be in writing, stating the decision you are appealing against, why you are appealing and signed by yourself. The address you should write to is:

Benefits Section
Tonbridge & Malling B.C.
Gibson Building
Gibson Drive
Kings Hill
West Malling
ME19 4LZ

Alternatively, please email us or telephone 01732 876376 to request an appeals leaflet and appeal form.