About this scheme

The government has launched a scheme to help with rising energy bills. You will receive a £150 council tax rebate payment if, at the end of the day on 1 April 2022:

  • your property was in council tax band A to D (including those in Band E that receive a disabled band reduction)
  • your property was your sole or main residence
  • you are liable for council tax and the property was not categorised as:
    • a second home
    • an empty home
    • a house in multiple occupation
    • exempt (other than specified exemption classes)
  • the liable party is not a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body

The government also announced funding for a discretionary rebate scheme for people who are not eligible for the core scheme.

If you already receive help with your council tax because you have a low income you will still get help. This includes if you have a 100 per cent council tax reduction and nothing to pay.

For more information see:

Find your council tax band

You can find your council tax band on the government's website.


Your band is also printed on your council tax bill.