The green-lidded bin can be used for garden waste, cardboard and food waste. Use our postcode search to find your next collection date. If you regularly have more garden waste we may be able to provide you with a second green-lidded bin or large green hessian bags. If you use other bags / sacks for extra green waste they must be left untied. Please contact us.
- Grass cuttings
- hedge clippings
- thorny branches
- fallen fruit
- brown corrugated cardboard (used for packaging around bulky items like televisions)
- flat grey cardboard (typically used in cereal and shoe boxes and toilet roll tubes)
- shiny cardboard (typically used around ready meals)
- Some greeting cards. Pease do not add cards with metal or glitter or plastic into the green-lidded bin.
- vegetables (cooked and uncooked)
- meat and fish (cooked and uncooked)
- tea bags
- coffee grounds
- plate scrapings
Do not put the following in your green-lidded bin
- Plastic - this includes biodegradable or compostable plastic
- Biodegradable or compostable packaging (including corn-starch and similar type bags) - much of this type of packaging does not compost down as quickly at the composting facility, and it is difficult for the collection crews to tell the difference between each type of packaging
- Stone, concrete, timber or builder's waste
- Glass or metal
- Plant pots
- Significant amounts of soil or turf that cause the bin to be too heavy to lift
- Clothes or textiles
- Carpet material
- Household rubbish
To prevent problems with smells and food waste
Wrap any potentially smelly food waste in newspapers, kitchen roll or paper bags.Search on-line for paper bag suppliers or check in your supermarket. Please note, we cannot accept any type of plastic bag including biodegradable, compostable or degradable bags.
Use both bins in hot weather.
You may put food waste in either your green-lidded or black bin. This way your food waste is collected each week.
Keep your bin clean.
You may find it useful to line the base of the green-lidded bin with cardboard to absorb any moisture and prevent garden waste becoming smelly. We have hints and tips If you have concerns about flies, odours and maggots.