Quick Links

Make an application

Before you apply

If you are considering building, extending or (part) demolishing a property or developing or changing the use of a building or piece of land you may need to apply for permission. You may also like to consider using our pre-application advice service.

map and magnifying glass It may also be useful to find out if your site is affected by any Heritage Assets or protected trees such as:

  • Conservation Area
  • Listed Building
  • Ancient Monument
  • protected trees, either by Tree Preservation Order or within a Conservation Area.

If your property is a Listed Building or lies within a Conservation Area, you may also need to apply for consent.

If you wish to obtain a determination as to whether a proposal does or does not require planning permission, you may apply for a formal decision, known as a Lawful Development Certificate.

You may also need to apply for Advertisement consent.

Before applying, you should read our Local Development Framework and Policy documentation.

When you are ready to apply

When you are ready to apply, paper forms are available from the Planning Portal or you can apply online. NB If you only need to extend the time limit of an existing planning permission or make a Non Material Amendment, these forms are only available to be printed.  In addition to your application forms, you will also need read our Validation Guidance, and you may also need one or more of these additional forms.  

You may also need to pay the appropriate fee for:

When permission has been given, it is likely that you will also need Building Regulation approval.

Maps for planning applications

If you need Ordnance Survey plans to accompany your application, these may be purchased at authorised Ordnance Survey retail outlets or  through our partner site, GetMapping.

Last Updated: 15th September 2014