Food hygiene standards in the UK are mainly governed by EU Regulations, rather than UK laws.
What do These Food Hygiene Laws Mean for Food Businesses?
Food businesses must have a documented food safety management system which is appropriate to the size and scale of their food activities. If a business needs a documented system, help is available from the Food Standards Agency using the Safer Food Better Business pack.
Safer Food, Better Business
Helping caterers with food safety management:
If you do not already have one, preparing a written food safety management system can be a daunting prospect. For smaller businesses such as pubs, restaurants, takeaways and cafes, the Food Standards Agency, working with catering businesses, has prepared a pack entitled Safer Food Better Business (SFBB). It is easy to understand and will help you meet the requirements to keep document food safety management records.
The SFBB Pack
the SFBB pack is made up of the following:
- Safe methods which follow the "4Cs" - cross contamination, cleaning, chilling and cooking, as well as a management section. These contain clear guidance on safe and hygienic food handling, with colour photographs showing good and bad practices;
- A diary, which includes staff training records, suppliers' list and cleaning schedule, as well as sheets for you to complete each day to confirm that you have completed opening and closing checks, and for you to note down anything that has gone wrong;
- A four-week review to look at what went wrong and what action you took to remedy the problem.
It is anticipated that once you have completed all the safe methods, the diary should take no more than a minute a day to fill in. You can combine it with existing written documentation, such as temperature records, cleaning schedules, pest control, etc.
How the SFBB Pack will help
Using the pack will help you to:
- Comply with the law;
- Show what you do to make food safely;
- Train staff;
- Protect your business's reputation;
- Improve your business, e.g. by wasting less food;
- Help towards acheiving a good food hygiene rating.
Obtaining an SFBB Pack
To download your pack or to obtain replacement diary sheets, visit the Safer Food Better Business pages on the Food Standards Agency website. Hard copy packs are available for new food businesses only, please contact us to obtain your free pack.
Contact the Food and Safety Team
Food Standards Agency website provides food safety information.