Food hygiene standards are set by EU Regulations, rather than UK laws. This is largely because the EU Commission recognises that there are big differences in the way food hygiene standards are applied througout the European Union and are looking for the new regulations to achieve better consistency.
What do These Food Hygiene Laws Mean for Food Businesses?
Food businesses must have a documented food safety system. If a business needs a documented system, help is available from the Food Standards Agency with the Safer Food Better Business pack.
Safer Food, Better Business
Helping caterers with HACCP (Hazard analysis and critical control points):
If you do not already have one, preparing a HACCP based food safety management system can be a daunting prospect. However, do not despair, as help is available. You do not have to prepare a full HACCP, which is more suited to food manufacturers who produce large amounts of similar food. This would be too complicated for the average restaurant, pub, take away or sandwich maker.
For these smaller businesses, the Food Standards Agency, working with catering businesses, has prepared a pack entitled Safer Food Better Business (SFBB). It is completely jargon free and very easy to understand and follow. It will help you meet the requirements of the new food regulations.
The SFBB Pack
the SFBB pack is made up of the following:
- Safe methods which follow the "4Cs" - cross contamination, cleaning, chilling and cooking, as well as management. These contain clear guidance on safe and hygienic food handling, with colour photographs showing good and bad practices;
- A diary, which includes staff training records, suppliers' list and cleaning schedule, as well as sheets for you to complete each day to confirm that you have completed opening and closing checks, and for you to note down anything that has gone wrong;
- A four-week review to look at what went wrong and what action you took to remedy the problem.
It is anticipated that once you have completed all the safe methods, the diary should take no more than a minute a day to fill in. You can combine it with existing written documentation, such as temperature records, cleaning schedules, pest control, etc.
How the SFBB Pack will help
Using the pack will help you to:
- Comply with the new regulations;
- Show what you do to make food safely;
- Train staff;
- Protect your business's reputation;
- Improve your business, e.g. by wasting less food.
Obtaining a Free SFBB Pack
To obtain your free pack, call 0845 6060667 or email email@example.com.
Contact the Food and Safety Team
Food Standards Agency website provides information on the new regulations and "Safer Food Better Business."