Pet shop licence
The Pet Animals Act 1951 (as amended in 1983) protects the welfare of animals sold as pets. The Act requires any person keeping a pet shop to be licensed by the local authority.
Local authorities are responsible for enforcing the law in this area and anyone who has reason to believe that a pet shop is keeping animals in inadequate conditions should raise the matter with the local authority who will decide what action to take within the range of its powers.
The Animal Welfare Act 2006 places responsibilities for care and welfare of an animal on persons who are in charge or are responsible for the animal whether on a permanent or temporary basis.
Pet shops currently licensed by Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council
Before being granted a licence the applicant must be able to demonstrate that;
- Applicant or member of staff is suitably qualified to keep animals with regard to the type and number proposed to be kept.
- Animals will at all times be kept in accommodation suitable in respect of construction, size of quarters, number of occupants, exercising facilities, temperatures, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness.
- Accommodation is secure in order to prevent escape and prevent ingress of other animals.
- Animals will be adequately supplied with suitable food, drink and bedding materials, adequately exercised, and (as far as is necessary) visited at suitable intervals.
- All reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent and control the spread of infectious or contagious diseases.
- Appropriate measures will be taken to protect the animals in case of fire or other emergency, including the provision of suitable fire fighting equipment.
- A register containing a description of any animal received on the premises, animals age and sex, the date of acquisition and departure and the source from which the animals are received.
- The register will be available for inspection at all times by a Licensing inspector or by a Veterinary Surgeon or Veterinary Practitioner authorised by us.
- No animal to be sold to persons under the age of 12 years.
- Mammals will not be sold at too early an age.
In addition to the standard conditions a licence may also contain special conditions that are only applicable to your premises.
Apply through the EUGO Portal for:
Apply and pay online for this licence
Download the application form for this licence
Renew and pay online for an exisitng licence
Download a form to renew an existing licence
To change an exisiting licence use the Licensing Enquiry Form below
- On receipt of the application form and fee the council will arrange for an officer to carry out an inspection of the premises to ensure its suitability.; and
- Dependant on the findings of the inspection a licence may or may not be issued.
Licences are valid for one year.
To renew or change your licence details please use the form below
Use the on-line Licensing Enquiry Form to contact us
Phone: The licensing team Mon - Fri 01732 876368
Fax: 01732 842170
Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council
Kent ME19 4LZ