Licence - boarding animals
Kennels and Catteries
Establishments where the boarding of animals is being carried on as a business are subject to the Animal Boarding Establishments 1963 Act. This requires such establishments to be licensed by the local authority. For the purpose of this Act the keeping of such establishments is defined as the carrying on at any premises, including a private dwelling, of a business of providing accommodation for other people's cats and dogs.
The Animal Welfare Act 2006 places responsibilities for care and welfare of an animal on persons who are in charge or are responsible for the animal whether on a permanent or temporary basis.
A licence is granted at the discretion of the local authority who may take into account the suitability of the accommodation and whether the animals are well fed, exercised and protected from disease and fire.
Boarding Establishments currently licensed by Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council
Before being granted a licence the applicant must be able to demonstrate that;
- Animals will at all times be kept in accommodation suitable in respect of construction, size of quarters, number of occupants, exercising facilities, temperatures, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness.
- Accommodation is secure in order to prevent escape and prevent ingress of other animals.
- Animals will be adequately supplied with suitable food, drink and bedding materials, adequately exercised, and (as far as is necessary) visited at suitable intervals.
- All reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent and control the spread of infectious or contagious diseases, including the provision of adequate isolation facilities.
- Appropriate measures will be taken to protect the animals in case of fire or other emergency, including the provision of suitable fire fighting equipment.
- A register containing a description of any animal received into the establishment, the date of arrival and departure, and the name and address of the owner will be kept, and that the register will be available for inspection at all times by a Licensing inspector or by a Veterinary Surgeon or Veterinary Practitioner authorised by us.
A licence may be refused or withheld on other grounds if those grounds are such that conditions were not suitable for the boarding of animals. Each licence issued is subject to standard conditions that are imposed on all animal boarding establishments licensed by us. In addition to the standard conditions a licence may also contain special conditions that are only applicable to your premises.
Using the EUGO portal you can:
Apply and pay online for this licence
Renew and pay online for an exisitng licence
Make a change and pay online for an existing licence
- On request an application form will be forwarded to the applicant for completion;
- On receipt of the application form and fee the council will arrange for an officer to carry out an inspection of the premises to ensure its suitability.; and
- Dependant on the findings of the inspection a licence may or may not be issued.
For licence renewal and changes to a current licence please contact us using the online form below.
Licences are valid for one year.
Use the on-line Licensing Enquiry Form to contact us
Phone: The licensing team Mon - Fri (01732) 876368
Fax: 01732 842170
Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council
Kent ME19 4LZ