Quick Links

Alcohol and entertainment licence

Licensing Act 2003

A premises licence or a club premises certificate is required for premises that:

  1. Sale by retail of alcohol.
  2. Supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club, or to the order of a member of a club.
  3. Provision of late night refreshment.
  4. Provision of regulated entertainment.

The types of entertainment regulated by the 2003 Act (as amended by the Live Music Act 2012 and the Licensing Act 2003 (Descriptions of Entertainment) (Amendment) Order 2013) are:

  • a performance of a play;
  • an exhibition of a film;
  • an indoor sporting event;
  • a boxing or wrestling entertainment;
  • a contest, exhibition or display which combines boxing or wrestling with one or more martial arts ("combined fighting sports");
  • a performance of live music ;
  • any playing of recorded music;
  • a performance of dance;
  • entertainment of a similar description to a performance of live music, any playing of recorded music or a performance of dance.

Briefing notes for a premises licence

Licensable activity summary sheet

List of Responsible Authorities

Statement of Licensing Policy -

The current Statement of Licensing Policy covers the years 2014-2019.Tonbridge & Malling Borough

Council recognises that licensed premises are a major contributor to the Borough, attracting tourists and visitors and making for vibrant towns and communities. The Council also recognises the problems that can be caused if licensed activities are not properly managed and premises well run

This Policy Statement seeks to formulate reasonable controls and appropriate guidance to encourage efforts that are being made by the Council and its partners working together with the licensed trade to help deal with issues that arise from licensable activities.

Statement of Licensing Policy

Summary of new applications/variations

New, Varied and Review applications currently being processed

Detail of Applications

Review application

  • None


  • None 

Minor Variations

  • None

New premises applications

  • None

You can apply, amend or renew your licence through the EUGO Portal.


Each premises will be allocated to a fee band according to the non-domestic rateable value of the property. The current fees are listed below.

Rateable Value £BandNew or Variation FeeAnnual Fee
125000 and aboveE£635£350

Please make cheques payable to "Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council" or "TMBC".

Changes to Premises Licence

For changes of Licence holder and / or change of Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) a copy of both the below forms must be sent to:

  1. Divisional Licensing Coordinator, West Division, Maidstone Police Station, Palace Avenue, Maidstone, Kent ME15 6NF
  2. Licensing Section (Address below)

Fee for this application is £23

Change of Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)

Please make cheques payable to "Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council" or "TMBC".

All applications to be sent to

Licensing Services
Gibson Building
Gibson Drive
Kings Hill
West Malling
Kent ME19 4LZ

Further information

Use the on-line Licensing Enquiry Form to contact us

Phone: The licensing team Mon - Fri (01732) 876368
Email: licensing.services@tmbc.gov.uk
Fax: 01732 842170

Last Updated: 16th March 2015